Sunday, January 4, 2009

Going solo

Finally left Manly on the afternoon of 3 Jan after the hangover subsided and the admin was completed. Arrived at Tea Gardens just before dusk and made camp. I am getting remarkably efficient at pitching my tent and have now figured out how to utilise the bike to make a natty awning. Didn't quite manage to leave the campground before the man came around for the money, but he was so impressed with my itinerary that he didn't charge me.

Sunday was my first 500km day, and I finished up 100km short of Byron Bay at Yamba, which is a really nice spot at the mouth of the Clarence River.

Managed to stop at the National Motorcycle Museum in Nabiac (not to be confused with the Australian Motorcycle Museum or other imposters). Very impressive private collection with over 800 bikes. And I got my first sticker for the panniers! The locals showed me all the best biking roads, but none of them led in the right direction, so I politely explained to them that my destination is already far enough away.

Bando was very upset this afternoon when he found out I was paying 40 dollars to pitch my tent in Yamba, but it's the least bogan site yet. I am taking a break from camp food with a Chinese takeaway, and finishing the last of my birthday pinot from a sports drink bottle. There's even some live entertainment from the local prog rock band. They're actually very good, but they're starting to wake the kids up in the campsite. Fortunately for their sake (and mine), they're on the other side of the river...

Sent from my BlackBerry® from Optus

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice touch the map but it really b****rs up my laptop - must get some more memory. Found Petes blog and mailed him.

Unknown said...

Be carreful of the rain heading into QLD. They are having severe flooding there at the moment. Remember you can only go as deep as the headlight for short distances NOT the entire length of QLD. Stookie.

Anonymous said...

Hey Rob,
Ros here - greetings from Kiev. It's really interesting to read about the journey! Will come back here regulary for updates!