Sunday, November 9, 2008

The world's most expensive metal boxes


Anticipation for the big trip is mounting (as is the bill). On Sunday, I went over to Everything Two Wheels to get the panniers fitted. We didn't get finished until almost 11pm, which is service above and beyond the call of duty, but after a few hours everything fitted perfectly - nice job, Pete! The alu panniers were pristine and came in bubble wrap, so there was much nervousness as the holes were drilled to mount them to the frame. I initially thought that the towels on the floor were to stop the panniers from getting scratched (hardly necessary, given the punishment they're about to receive), but after a while it occurred to me that Pete may have been more concerned about his brand new workshop floor. Anyways... the bike is beginning to look worthy of intercontinental adventures now. Which is just as well, given what the Touratech panniers cost...

Route planning is coming along - I'm thinking of heading up the east coast of Australia as far as Fraser Island, and then cutting inland through Longreach and Mount Isa to Tennants Creek before heading north to Darwin. Just getting out of Australia is going to be a marathon ride - I don't think I'm going to see much change out of 6,000km. I'd like to ride along the beach at Fraser Island, but I'm still trying to find out if that's realistic, or if 300+ kg of bike, rider and assorted camping gear, spare parts and assorted paraphernalia will quickly disappear into the sand.

I am enjoying the new Arai Tour X - I had initially thought that a new helmet might be an unnecessary luxury, but after wearing it I realised that my 10 year old lid had some significant hygiene issues as well as safety issues. No excuse to wear my fancypants Dainese trouser suit as yet, but I do need to get it dirtied up in case any bikie gangs in the outback mistake me for a cissy.

No comments: